Pages

11.11.2008

Fail to Plan, Plan to Fail - or - Plan to Plan...

TIPS FROM THE FAST GROWTH 100


I ran across this article, by By Jennifer Bosavage, ChannelWeb and it seemed pretty relevant -

She mentions three points, the second struck me -

2. Don't Overstrategize

"... some organizations' cultures lead managers to discuss goals and strategies ad nauseum. At some point, action needs to be taken. "We devote 10 percent of our time to strategizing and 90 percent to execution..."

Well. Ok.

Seems to me, that a bunch of Sales Managers and Managers in general should take a look at the way they manage.

And the Selling Professionals too - do we plan our week, all week?

Is it all planning and little execution?

1 comments:

I wanted to weigh in on this as my thought would be a little different. May be semantics, but...

I feel like people over analyze situations and often don't have enough information to make informed decisions. My biggest frustration is people changing direction 20 times a day or week b/c they didn't elicit the correct information nor have an appropriate grasp on needs requirement. I spend 60% of my day fixing these types of issues.

What management does not spend enough time on is creating appropriate action plans. Sure, generally speaking they plan - but this goes back to my first point... they often are basing their "planning" on faulty assumptions.

Execution is key - and should be the desired outcome of strategic and tactical planning. The purpose of planning is to execute more efficiently, but many simply plan to plan and do not apply common sense or gather the correct intelligence.

Too many times I see "ready, fire, aim." and not enough "ready, aim, fire."